Last Friday marked a tenth anniversary of a youth program our church runs in the local schools. To celebrate, they held a barn dance. Which basically means: square dance.Now, I am well aware that most of you are not from Texas, and I'm not sure if square dancing was a regular part of the physical education curriculum in your elementary school as it was in mine. So, I will explain: it's simple, really. An announcer gives instructions as you go along as to what to while you are dancing the current dance. Most dances are composed of 4 couples standing in a square and involve holding hands in a circle and walking clockwise 8 steps and the counter-clockwise 8 steps or doing a dosado or a promenade. Hooking elbows and danging in a circle is very much encouraged. Jason got a little carried away when the caller said "swing your partner 'round and 'round" and I may have accidentally kicked a few old ladies. There event was complete with fiddle and some jigs.
I tried to talk with a Texas twang, but after two months of hearing British speak, I couldn't remember what a Texas accent sounds like. So I went home and called my grandmother to remember.
What I didn't know is that the square dance is a very British thing. Google it.
No comments:
Post a Comment